Monday, January 23, 2012

Will Work for Popcorn

Happy Monday! For a Monday, it was a great one on our hall! Early this morning we noticed that we were super close to meeting our "100 100's on AR tests" goal for first grade. The reward was a popcorn and movie party and we knew it would be coming this afternoon. It was just what we all needed. Kids having a good time together, me planning and working and it all happening because they were motivated to make 100s on their tests. This was their chart this afternoon after the 100th 100 was scored!






We thought we had set the goal pretty lofty but this didn't take long at all. We're shooting for 200 100's for the next go around. By the time we left this afternoon, we were already well on the way! Yes, I do see that we need to change that to "two hundred."


Another incentive we've started in first grade is "Popcorn Words." Our kids are working at their own pace learning the Fry Phrase lists and earning a small popcorn snack after each time they complete a list without help, without making mistakes and reading it in under 1 minute. Most of their practice is being done at home and each day in small groups, they have the opportunity to read their list for me and try to move up to the next list and earn popcorn.

My kids are super motivated and they're holding me accountable to make sure they have the chance to read to me when I tend to want to get carried away with something else. Last week I put together these little flashcards/practice books of each list. I take that back, I got everything together and our attendance clerk did the labor intensive part and the assembly. I put these near the word work station and had a lot of interest in them today.

 Daily 5 is going really well and today was the start of our third week. Listening is the most popular and it's difficult because we do listening on the computer and I only have two student computers. Not everyone gets to listening every day but we work it out. Ultimately, everyone is engaged and happy and that's all I ask!

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment